Sunday, April 7, 2013

Kimchi beef liver pate

In the past I've made pate from chicken and beef livers. While they were palatable the texture was just not appealing. Dry and grainy from cooking the livers thoroughly (well done) per instruction. Now that I'm a bit more familiar with preparing liver in other dishes I thought I'd give pate a try again. This time cooking it the way I like to eat it, medium rare. What a difference, smooth and creamy, not dry and chalky. Flavor was improved as well, not off-putting like the well done version and this is with no pre-soaking in milk. As for flavors I swerved away from the typical seasonings, leaning toward a more Asian influence. Kimchi for spice, fish sauce for flavor and salt, onion for sweetness, then cilantro for it's earthy note.

A quick fry in bacon fat to brown

Don't cook too long, you want it bloody

Then into the food processor with kimchi, cooked onion, cilantro, fish sauce and pureed.

Let cool and it's ready to eat!



1/4 bacon fat
1.5 lb pastured beef liver
1 onion
1c kimchi or to taste
1tbsp fish sauce or to taste
1/2c chopped cilantro



No comments:

Post a Comment